The Common Admission Test (CAT) is a computer based test conducted every year in the month of November or December. By qualifying the CAT, an aspirant becomes eligible to enroll to post- graduate management programs.
CAT Exam 2019: Date, Registration, Eligibility, Exam Pattern, Syllabus, Admit Card
What is CAT?
About CAT Exam
Every year Common Admission Test is conducted online by one of the Indian Institutes of Management. Since its inception, the pattern, number of questions set and duration of examination has undergone considerable variations. A few years back, CAT was a paper based test. The objective of conducting this test is to allow eligible candidates to get admission in the post-graduate management program in one of the Indian Institutes of Management.
The eligibility or prerequisite criteria for CAT are as follows:
- Any candidate holding a bachelor’s degree or equivalent with a minimum 50% marks or equal CGPA from a recognized University or institution. (45% in case of Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe and Persons With Disability)
- Candidates appearing for the final year examination of Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent qualification examination and students who are awaiting results can also apply.
- Candidates who have completed Professional degree (ICWA/CS/CA) with the requisite percentage can also apply.
It is to be noted that IIM at various stages verifies the eligibility of candidates provided by them on the website.
CAT Exam Pattern
CAT exam pattern is based on objective type questions. 100 numbers of questions are provided in the test and it is divided into three sections:
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DI & LR)
- Verbal and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
- Quantitative Ability (QA)
The candidates appearing in the test cannot switch between the sections and required to take the test in a definite order. For each section 60 minutes is allotted. Each question carries 3 (three) marks and 1 mark will be deducted for each wrong answer.
CAT Exam Syllabus
CAT exam syllabus is vast and it comprises the key topics in English, Mathematics, Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation. However, it is to be noted that every year many topics are added or removed in the syllabus. But usually CAT Syllabus consists of section wise topics such as Verbal and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Ability.
CAT Admit Card
The CAT Admit Card or Hall ticket is made available on the website of the Indian Institutes of Management that conducts the test. The CAT 2018 Admit card is available on IIMCAT.ac.in. Candidates can download the Admit Card by logging in with the user ID and password. To appear in the exam it is mandatory carry a printout of the Admit Card to the exam centre on the exam date along with an ID proof having a photograph.